Sunday, August 11, 2013

Cleaning out the fridge...Let's make some Chinese food



"Tell me and I'll forget, show me and I may remember, involve me and I'll understand."(Chinese proverb)

Today in the kitchen we are going to have some fun making our own Chinese food.  As many of you know I love to mix and mingle lots of different recipes together to create unique and interesting dishes...earlier this week I spent way too much time on Pinterest looking at different things to do with what I had in my pantry...after perusing for several hours (I never can understand how going to Pinterest and YouTube turns into a several hour excursion)  I came up with today's recipe mash up.  
I try not to let anything go to waste in the kitchen so for today's recipe we are using things from the fridge door, bits and pieces of left over items from other recipes, as well as what's left in the containers hiding out in the fridge.   

Pineapple Teriyaki Marinated Pork

1/3 cup your favorite BBQ Sauce (today I'm using some Apple Whiskey BBQ Sauce I had left over from making BBQ Chicken earlier in the week)
1/3 cup your favorite Teriyaki Sauce/Marinade (I found a little left in the bottle hanging out in the door of my fridge)
Chunk Pineapple drained and any reserved juice (leftover from a pineapple snack) 
1/4 cup EVOO
1 - 2 Cloves finely chopped garlic
2 pounds pork stew meat
1/2 Bag of Stir Fry Veggies *Peppers & Onions* Note: you can find this in the frozen veggie section of your local grocery store.  I always try to keep some on hand for dishes like this or when Peppers don't look so great in the produce department. (leftover from making chinese food last week)
1/4 cup  Green Onion (leftover from making our poppers the other day)
Your Favorite Cooked Rice (leftover Thai Jasmine Rice from making rice cause I have a new rice cooker that I just love to use!)


Directions:
Mix EVOO, Teriyaki sauce and garlic pour over pork in a plastic bag. Seal tightly and let marinate for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove pork from marinade & reserve remaining marinade.

Pan fry pork pieces in a small amount of oil, (make sure to use high heat to reduce the amount of moisture that escapes the meat when cooking)  for 10 - 15 minutes or until meat has a good color and is done to about 155 degrees. Add the Pineapple, Onion & Peppers and cook an additional 5 minutes (if using frozen stir fry mix this may take just a couple of minutes longer) until veggies and pineapple are hot but not really soft.  Let stand 5 minutes.



Meanwhile, in a 1-quart saucepan, mix the remaining marinade, pineapple juice and BBQ Sauce and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil (2 to 3 minutes). Add marinade mixture over top pork & veggies.


Serve the pork on top of a bed of rice and garnish with the green onion.


And there we go my lovelies...Chinese food from your own kitchen that tastes better than the take out you pick up on the way home...done with the leftovers from the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment